An exhaustively researched report published by the Chicago Plan Commission in 1943 details phantom developments such as this, along with every neighborhood in the city.Today, streets such as Midas, Mohican and Nonand have all vanished, and residential lots shown in white undeveloped until after World War II.Chicago’s longest-running real estate and building magazine from 1888 to the early 2000s was Realty and Building, named The Economist until 1946.Only partially digitized through 1922, Forgotten Chicago has photographed and scanned more than 6,500 articles and images from the 1920s to the 1990s, an invaluable research tool on the Chicago area’s history and built environment that is used in exclusive presentations and events.The Economist was an enormous promoter of real estate speculation, and would publish no fewer than 3,500 pages annually in the second half of the 1920s. Laudermilk Realty Association encouraging wildly speculative investing at the height of Chicago’s real estate bubble in 1927; Chicago’s almost comical overbuilding in the 1920s is detailed in a popular 2014 Forgotten Chicago article.The area around what is now the Edgebrook Golf Course on the Far Northwest Side was notoriously plagued with vacant lots and ghost streets and alleys for decades following the 1929 stock market crash.
On Sunday, December 4, 2016, Forgotten Chicago and Pullman-area native Tom Shepherd presented an encore of our exclusive tour of sites crucial to the rise of Barack Obama in Chicago in the years before his first election to the White House in 2008.
Henry Dreyfuss (1904-1972) was a leading American industrial designer of the twentieth century, responsible for the design of everything from tens of millions of telephones built by the Western Electric subsidiary of AT&T in Cicero, Illinois to the iconic Honeywell home thermostat and 1930s trains for the New York Central Railroad.
Above top, the Illinois Central station project was a largely forgotten scheme by the Chicago Plan Commission to combine all passenger operations of the then-extant Illinois Central, Dearborn, La Salle Street and Grand Central Stations into a single grand gateway along Roosevelt Road near Michigan Avenue.
One of Chicago’s many deluxe privately funded garages was built by Richard G.
Lydy on West Lake Street in 1929 as seen above top, and included a carpeted lounge. Clemensen in the booming South Shore community, as seen above top in the 1920s, and again above bottom some 90 years later.